Work boots are exposed to extreme conditions on a daily basis that makes it a magnet for dirt, dust, and mud to name a few. Knowing how to clean work boots is a must especially if you want to keep them for a long period of time.
Keeping them neat and clean on a regular basis is an essential part of its proper care and maintenance. As part of the proper maintenance and care for your work boot, this will also help prolong its lifespan and prevent it from being worn out.
Depending on which material that your work boot is made of, there are simple steps that you can learn in order to keep them clean. Additionally, I have included some tips along the way that you might find very helpful.
First up, you will need a few essential materials in order for you to complete these steps. Here are the materials you’ll need for this procedure.
Cleaning Leather Work Boots
Cleaning Rubber Work Boots
Wet or Damp Cloth - to wipe away stains and marks on rubber work boots.
Cleaning Suede Work Boots
If you have all the materials ready, you can go ahead and procedure to follow the step by step procedure on how to clean work boots.
Leather is a material that needs utmost care and attention. It is a delicate material and can be a challenge when it comes to cleaning. Here are the steps you can follow to clean your leather work boots.
1. The first thing you need to do is to take off the laces from your leather work boots. If there are chunks of dirt, dust or mud on your leather work boots, it is best to brush them off first. You need to do this gently to prevent any damage on the leather material.
2. Next, using a smaller brush, dip it on water and scrape an ample amount of leather cleaner and rub it all over the surface of the leather work boots. Leather cleaners remove visible stains on the leather material.
After applying the leather cleaner, wipe off any excess and allow your leather work boots to dry.
3. Once you are done with applying the leather cleaner, you need to apply the conditioner of your leather work boots. Leather conditioner is used to strengthen the material. This also helps promote durability and softens the leather material for a more comfortable use.
(Tip: Over usage of the leather conditioner could also have unpleasant effects on the material.)
4. After applying the leather conditioner, you can now proceed to apply polish on your leather work boots. Use a cloth to apply the polish all over the surface of your leather work boots.
Applying leather cleaner and conditioner can dull out the shine of the material. The use of a polish can easily restore the shine to your leather work boots.
5. To add more shine to your leather work boots, you can also brush it down.
6. Lastly, as an additional protection, apply weatherproof spray on your leather work boots. This is a vital step, especially if your work environment exposes you to all kinds of weather.
Watch this video to get a better idea of how it is done:
Rubber work boots may be the easiest of all the materials to clean. Since the material is rubber, this is typically already weather resistant. If in case your rubber work boots have dirt, dust or mud on it, you can use a wet or damp cloth to wipe it down.
This goes the same if you happen to spill liquid on your rubber work boots. After which you need to allow them to dry naturally.
(Tip: If you spilled liquid on your rubber work boots, clean them immediately to prevent stain marks on the material.)
Suede work boots are not so difficult to clean compared to leather work boots. Be that as it may, the proper way must be observed and followed when cleaning them.
1. Start off by taking off the laces from your suede work boots. Next is to use a soft bristle brush to get rid of any visible dirt, dust or mud on your work boots. Make sure to gently brush the surface and do it in the same direction as the nap.
2. If in case you notice stains on your suede work boots, you can use a suede eraser or a regular eraser to get rid of it. In some situations where liquid is spilled on your suede leather work boots, you can use a paper towel to dry it.
You can also use crumpled paper to stuff it inside your suede work boots and allow it to naturally dry.
(Tip: Do not place your suede work boots near a heat source to dry it as this can easily damage the material.)
(Tip: If there are stains that you cannot remove, it is ideal that you take it to a cobbler to make sure proper steps are taken.)
3. Finally, to protect your suede work boots from all kinds of weather conditions and avoid stains, it is best to apply a weatherproof spray or a water and stain repellent spray. Doing this will also help you for an easier clean up in the future.
(Tip: Water and stain repellent spray or weatherproof spray must be applied in accordance with your suede work boots manufacturer’s manual.)
To know more about this procedure, watch this clip:
Ultimately, clean work boots are important since it is a vital part to ensure the longevity of your footwear. Additionally, a neat pair of work boots is always pleasing to look at.
Following the steps that I have shared, plus the tips that I have included will make the cleaning of work boots an easy, breezy task for you.
Were you able to pick up on the steps of how to clean work boots through this article? Did you find the tips on helpful? Was the step by step procedure useful?
Do you have any other suggestions regarding this topic? I would like to hear your thoughts about this article. Send your feedback and suggestions by leaving a comment below.